This program brings to participants a hands-on learning through real life experience in a fun and dynamic environment.
- Interest in farming
- Interest in living in a rural area
- Must be in good shape for physical jobs
- Open minded and dynamic
- Flexible to do different tasks
- Enjoys teamwork and people
- Non smoker
- Speaks English or French
- Over 21 years old (exception might be granted, please ask)
This program is built for those seeking a comprehensive experience with organic farming, specifically in vegetable production, (fruits and vegetables in greenhouses and fields). And, of course, participants will experience the Ecovillage lifestyle. Students in agronomy, sustainability and other disciplines are welcome. Ask your university: your internship may qualify for credits.
New Earth Organic Farm is one of the largest organic farms in the region practicing eco-friendly agriculture. It provides healthy, fresh, certified organic vegetables and eggs to the local community. New Earth Organic Farm also lends its support to the local community of Colebrook by donating vegetables to the food pantry. During this internship program you will learn the sustainable and organic methods used in the process from seeds to table.
Here is a sample of different farm task you will likely take part in (it changes along the season):
- Preparing the soil, adding compost, implanting green manures and cover crops
- Specific care for a large variety of herbs, vegetables, berries and fruit trees: watering, fertilizing, weeding, thinning, tying, mulching, etc.
- Organic pest control through companion planting, biological pest control and other organic methods.
- Harvesting and preserving herbs and vegetables (possibility to discover a wide range of cold-resistant cultivars).
- Preparing wholesale and retail orders for local and regional venues.
You will also have the chance to discuss with knowledgeable and passionate farmers on all those subjects, and get to learn more about extending the season (in a USDA zone3), basics of seed keeping, information on organic fertilization, microorganisms, ecology and soil biology and more!
*Registration fee is mandatory and non refundable.